Texas inmate heard threatening to kill cop on phone
Efrian Lopez, 54, told his wife that he planned to kill a police officer, unaware the officer was listening
LUBBOCK COUNTY, Texas — A Lubbock County Detention Center inmate faces a retaliation charge after telling his wife in a monitored telephone call he was going to kill a city police officer.
Efrian Lopez, 54, was in jail on a drug charge when he told his wife he was going to kill Lubbock police Officer Michael Chavez. But Lopez didn’t know Chavez was listening in on the Aug. 9 conversation. Lopez’s phone call earned him a retaliation charge, according to a warrant.
Chavez, who describes Lopez as a heroin addict with ties to Texas Syndicate prison gang members, believes the threat places himself, his family and fellow officers in danger.
- Officer Safety
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend