2 charged with posing as cops, robbing tourists in Fla.
The suspects stopped a taxi and stole the belongings of the two Swedish tourists inside
MIAMI — Two Miami men are behind bars after authorities say they posed as police officers and robbed two Swedish tourists.
Alejandro Filguieras and William Carles were arrested and face several charges including robbery, falsely impersonating an officer and attempted carjacking.
Miami police said the suspects stopped a taxi carrying two Swedish passengers last month and said they were police officers. They ordered the cab driver and passengers out of the vehicle, saying they were searching for drugs. Authorities said the suspects patted down the victims, searched their luggage, then ordered them back into the cab.
Authorities said the suspects fled with the victims' belongings.
Police say the suspects also attempted to rob a woman at a gas station several minutes before robbing the taxi, but authorities say they were unsuccessful.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Trooper under investigation for calling ICE to report illegal immigrant
- Police say newly freed gang member killed Calif. officer
- Sheriff Joe successor pulls back on immigration holds in jails
- Bystander helps officer under attack by jumping on suspect's back
- Ala. church asks for its own police department