Escaped inmate who shot trooper killed by retired CO
Rodney Eugene Long kept a couple captive in their home for 4 hours before one of them fired, killing him
By PoliceOne Staff
BEDFORD, Iowa — A couple was held hostage for four hours in their rural Iowa home before one of them fatally shot the man — a wanted inmate who allegedly shot a trooper days earlier.
Jerome and Carolyn Mauderly, 71 and 66, heard the felon break into their home late Monday night. Jerome managed to grab his shot gun and kill Rodney Eugene Long, who was also armed with a semi-automatic hand gun, according to the Des Moines Register.
Police had searched their home earlier that day and twice previously for Long, who was wanted for the shooting of Deputy Dan Wyckoff, on Friday.
The massive manhunt for the inmate ended when Mauderly, a retired corrections officer, called police around 2 a.m. Monday to report he had killed Long, according to the report.
- Police Heroes
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house