Police arrest man after girl, 3, dies stuck in sofa bed
Fifty-year-old Mohamed Barry was charged with endangering the welfare of a child
NEW YORK — A New York City man has been arrested in connection with the death of a 3-year-old girl who got caught inside a sofa bed.
Fifty-year-old Mohamed Barry was charged with endangering the welfare of a child. Police say he was supposed to be watching Aissante Diallo and her 10-year-old sister when the accident occurred Monday at a Harlem apartment.
Barry is the boyfriend of the girls' mother. Information about his lawyer wasn't immediately available.
The Daily News says Barry told police he had stepped out of the apartment for about 10 minutes.
Police say the sofa bed folded up when the sisters were on it, trapping them. The older girl managed to get out.
Aissante was pronounced dead at a hospital. The medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Bizarre Beat
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman