Trial begins for 2 in Chicago cop's slaying
Kevin Walker and Christopher Harris are accused of killing Officer Alejandro "Alex" Valadez
CHICAGO — Two men charged in the West Englewood slaying of a Chicago police officer in 2009 are scheduled to go on trial today.
Kevin Walker and Christopher Harris are accused of killing Officer Alejandro "Alex" Valadez as he responded to a report of shots fired in the 6000 block of South Hermitage Avenue, according to the Cook County State's Attorney's Office.
A third defendent in the case, Shawn Gaston, is serving a 125-year prison sentence.
State's Attorney Anita Alvarez will serve as lead prosecutor during the trial, which is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m.
Copyright 2013 Chicago Tribune
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman