6 inmates killed in fight at Mexico border prison
Authorities said in a statement that three inmates have acknowledged to stabbing the victims to death with makeshift knives
MEXICO CITY — Authorities in northern Mexico say six inmates have died in a prison fight in the city of Reynosa, across the border from McAllen, Texas.
Tamaulipas state authorities said in a statement that three inmates have acknowledged to stabbing the victims to death with makeshift knives.
Officials say the suspects told investigators they attacked the six inmates Sunday night because of old grudges between the two groups.
Authorities didn't say if those involved are connected to drug trafficking or what crimes they were convicted for.
Tamaulipas state has become a battleground for the formerly allied Zetas and Gulf drug cartels as they fight over turf.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court