Sheriff's office bans Arias defense aide from jail
Mitigation specialist Maria De La Rosa is banned from its jails because she recently took a drawing by Arias out of the jail
PHOENIX — A member of Jodi Arias' defense team is banned from the jail in Phoenix where Arias is being held until her murder case's penalty phase starts in September.
The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office says mitigation specialist Maria De La Rosa is banned from its jails because she recently took a drawing by Arias out of the jail.
The Sheriff's Office says the drawing is contraband and that De La Rosa cannot deliver things for Arias, who was convicted in May of first-degree murder in the 2008 killing of her boyfriend, Travis Alexander.
De La Rosa attorney Dan Raynak tells The Arizona Republic that the ban is outrageous and that she only handled legal material.
Arias attorney Jennifer Willmott says the drawing was of potential use in Arias' mitigation case.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert