Killer of Mich. trooper dies after suicide attempt
Eric John Knysz, 20, attempted to hang himself with a bed sheet and was taken off life support days later
By John S. Hausman
JACKSON, MI — Eric John Knysz, the convicted murderer of Michigan State Police Trooper Paul K. Butterfield II, has died.
Knysz, 20, was removed from life support and died at around 10:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, the Michigan Department of Corrections announced late Thursday afternoon.
Knysz attempted to hang himself with a bed sheet Monday afternoon, April 14, at the Charles E. Egeler Reception and Guidance Center in Jackson. He had arrived there April 10 to begin serving a sentence of life without possibility of parole for Butterfield’s murder.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend