Killer of Mich. trooper dies after suicide attempt
Eric John Knysz, 20, attempted to hang himself with a bed sheet and was taken off life support days later
By John S. Hausman
JACKSON, MI — Eric John Knysz, the convicted murderer of Michigan State Police Trooper Paul K. Butterfield II, has died.
Knysz, 20, was removed from life support and died at around 10:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, the Michigan Department of Corrections announced late Thursday afternoon.
Knysz attempted to hang himself with a bed sheet Monday afternoon, April 14, at the Charles E. Egeler Reception and Guidance Center in Jackson. He had arrived there April 10 to begin serving a sentence of life without possibility of parole for Butterfield’s murder.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform