Wash. CO fires gun in hospital during inmate escape attempt
Prisoner was awaiting surgery on the eighth floor of the hospital when he attempted to escape
SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. — A Spokane County corrections officer fired his gun at Deaconess Hospital early Monday when a prisoner awaiting surgery allegedly attempted to escape, police said.
A prisoner was awaiting surgery around 2 a.m. on the eighth floor of the hospital when he attempted to escape, a news release from the Spokane Police Department said. The corrections officer and the prisoner ended up on the fourth floor where there was an "altercation," the release said. The officer fired his gun, but the prisoner was not hit. The prisoner was taken back into custody.
The Spokane Police Department is the managing agency in this incident, the release said. Additional information is not expected to be released until next week.
Copyright 2014 The Spokesman-Review
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper