Video: The dynamic of compliance (part one)
In this video, PoliceOne Member Sheriff Ray Nash speaks to the topic of generating voluntary compliance by answering the question "Why?" the citizen must comply with your lawful authority. Nash says that many officers fall into the trap of saying, "Because I said so, that's why!" Nash invokes tenets of Dr. George Thompson in Verbal Judo, and makes reference to the historical birth of the United States (questioning the King's authority!), in explaining how you can increase the rate of compliance you get from offenders you encounter on the street. In part one of this three-part series below, Nash covers the simple offender and the silly offender — the two lowest in the spectrum of five types of offender.
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds