Man under arrest flees in second major escape this month in Atlanta
The Associated Press
ATLANTA- A man arrested on drug and weapons charges fled from a police van Tuesday, the second major escape this month in a city where another inmate is accused of a deadly courthouse shooting rampage last March.
Students at eight schools in Atlanta were kept inside until classes ended while authorities searched unsuccessfully for Daniels.
Earlier this month, a man charged with marijuana possession, reckless conduct and cruelty to children fled from the county jail as he was being taken in. He was found nearby three hours later. Eleven Atlanta schools were locked down during the search.
On March 11, a Fulton County prisoner overpowered a deputy and escaped from the courthouse in downtown Atlanta. A judge, a court reporter and another deputy were shot to death. Brian Nichols is charged with murder.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help