Convicted rapist flees court, tries to shoot Mich. detective
The Associated Press
ATLANTA, Mich. — A rape defendant reacted violently to his conviction Wednesday, running from the courtroom, grabbing a shotgun from his vehicle and trying to shoot a detective, authorities say.
After the verdict came in and Becker was ordered jailed, he "fled with officers in pursuit," Baum said.
"In the parking lot, Becker retrieved a pump-action shotgun from his vehicle, aimed it at a Grand Traverse (County) sheriff's department detective," the sheriff said. "Fortunately, the firearm jammed, and Becker was placed into custody after a short struggle."
No one was hurt, Baum said. He said Becker was taken to the county jail to await sentencing on the rape charge and new charges on the escape and shooting attempt.
First-degree criminal sexual conduct carries a penalty of up to life in prison.
Details of the case were not available. The sheriff's department declined further comment after business hours Wednesday.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds