NY court officer wounds man who fired gun
Eyewitnesses say a gunman was spotted on the steps of Middletown City Hall
MIDDLETOWN, N.Y. — Authorities say a man who fired a shotgun at an upstate New York courthouse has been wounded by a court officer.
Eyewitnesses tell the Times Herald-Record of Middletown that a gunman was spotted on the steps of Middletown City Hall at about 9 a.m. Wednesday. They say he then ran to City Court, where he fired once into the entrance door before being shot.
A spokesman for the state Office of Court Administration tells The Associated Press that he couldn't provide details, but he confirmed that a man had been armed with a shotgun.
He says two court officers were taken to the hospital for treatment of trauma that wasn't physical in nature.
The gunman was taken to a hospital by ambulance. His name and condition weren't immediately available.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman