Del. courthouse gunman was ex-father-in-law
Suspect died after killing his ex-daughter-in-law and her friend, then exchanging gunfire with police
By Randall Chase
WILMINGTON, Del. — Authorities have confirmed that the gunman in a Delaware courthouse shooting that left three dead was the former father-in-law of one of the victims.
Delaware State Police on Tuesday identified the gunman in Monday's shooting as 68-year-old Thomas S. Matusiewicz of Edcouch, Texas.
Matusiewicz was the former father-in-law of Christine Belford, 39, who was fatally shot along with her 47-year-old friend Laura Mulford.
Matusiewicz, armed with a .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun, died after exchanging gunfire with police.
Authorities were awaiting the autopsy results to determine whether Matusiewicz was killed by police or shot himself.
State police said Belford and Mulford were at the courthouse for a child support arrears hearing for Belford's ex-husband, David Matusiewicz. He was being questioned and was in custody on a federal probation technicality.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert