Rhode Island detectives shot during drug raid
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Three Providence police officers who were shot and wounded during a drug raid have been released from the hospital.
Chief Dean Esserman says the officers were clothes identifying them as Providence police when they forced their way inside a West End apartment Monday night to execute a search warrant.
Esserman says Detectives Carlos Sical and Juan Robles were shot as they crossed the threshold. Deputy Police Chief Paul Kennedy told The Providence Journal that the third injured officer is John "Joe" Black. The officers suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
By Tuesday, all three had been released from the hospital.
Police department spokeswoman Lindsay Richardson says a 25-year-old Providence man was taken into custody.
Police say more than 100 grams of crack cocaine was seized from the apartment.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help