Rhode Island detectives shot during drug raid
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Three Providence police officers who were shot and wounded during a drug raid have been released from the hospital.
Chief Dean Esserman says the officers were clothes identifying them as Providence police when they forced their way inside a West End apartment Monday night to execute a search warrant.
Esserman says Detectives Carlos Sical and Juan Robles were shot as they crossed the threshold. Deputy Police Chief Paul Kennedy told The Providence Journal that the third injured officer is John "Joe" Black. The officers suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
By Tuesday, all three had been released from the hospital.
Police department spokeswoman Lindsay Richardson says a 25-year-old Providence man was taken into custody.
Police say more than 100 grams of crack cocaine was seized from the apartment.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform