1 officer, 2 suspects dead after Ariz. undercover shootout
2 officers wounded as drug operation turns into gunbattle
PHOENIX – A shooting during an undercover drug operation in Phoenix has left three people dead, including one police officer and two suspects, authorities said.
Two other officers were wounded in the gunbattle Wednesday night, with one in critical condition at a Phoenix hospital and the other in stable condition.
The names of the three officers, all from the Chandler Police Department, were being withheld until their families were notified, authorities said.
Police did not disclose details of the drug bust or what triggered the shootout at a south Phoenix home.
The suspects who died were pronounced dead at the scene, police said. Two others were hospitalized with non life-threatening injuries and two more were detained and being questioned.
TV news helicopters showed the three officers being taken out of the home on stretchers about 7 p.m. Wednesday. The officer who died was pronounced dead at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman