Chicago mayor: decriminalize small amounts of marijuana
Rahm Emanuel issues press release backing idea of civil citations for 15 grams or less
By Fran Spielmanand and Frank Main
CHICAGO — Mayor Rahm Emanuel is throwing his formidable support behind a plan to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana.
If the City Council goes along, Chicago cops will be free to issue a ticket with a fine ranging from $100 to $500. The tickets would apply to people caught with 15 grams of pot or less.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic