Chicago mayor: decriminalize small amounts of marijuana
Rahm Emanuel issues press release backing idea of civil citations for 15 grams or less
By Fran Spielmanand and Frank Main
CHICAGO — Mayor Rahm Emanuel is throwing his formidable support behind a plan to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana.
If the City Council goes along, Chicago cops will be free to issue a ticket with a fine ranging from $100 to $500. The tickets would apply to people caught with 15 grams of pot or less.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman