W. Va. officer killed in undercover drug deal
BECKLEY, W.Va.- Two Beckley men have been arraigned on first-degree murder charges in the shooting death of a Beckley police officer.
According to the criminal complaint, 41-year-old Michael Martin and 24-year-old Thomas Leftwich had arranged to sell crack cocaine to Detective Charles "Chuckie" Smith, who was working undercover.
The three had reportedly arranged to meet at a South Fayette Street bar called Club Attraction early this morning.
Investigators allege that when Smith pulled out his badge, Martin ran and Leftwich shot Smith three to four times with a .357 revolver.
Smith was taken to Raleigh General Hospital, where he later died. State Police are investigating.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court