Video: Impaired mother kidnaps daughter, leads Mich. pursuit
Mother is facing 7 felony charges and 1 misdemeanor after police say she led them on a high-speed pursuit with her daughter in her lap
By Kelli Stopczynski
ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Mich. — A Kosciusko County mother is facing 7 felony charges and 1 misdemeanor in Southwest Michigan — including child abuse, resisting arrest, possession of cocaine, obstruction of justice, fleeing and eluding police and operating under the influence of drugs — after police say she led them on a wild chase with her daughter in her lap.
Police say 34-year-old Aubrey Coy kidnapped her daughter during a supervised visit Sunday afternoon. It all started in Warsaw around noon Sunday when police say Coy and her mother picked up the girl for the supervised visit.
“She literally put not just herself and that child in danger, but those officers that were chasing [her] and other pedestrians on the roadway,” said Michigan State Police Detective Sergeant Todd Peterson. “And I think that goes a long way to show her judgment at least was pretty impaired.”
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Trooper under investigation for calling ICE to report illegal immigrant
- Bystander helps officer under attack by jumping on suspect's back
- Sheriff Joe successor pulls back on immigration holds in jails
- Ala. church asks for its own police department
- Police say newly freed gang member killed Calif. officer