NY man tries to drown cops in swamp, steal gun
Anthony Shackelford was pulled over for a traffic violation and caught with crack cocaine
By Paul Brooks
MONTICELLO, N.Y. — A Monticello man tried to grab the gun of a Monticello police officer and drown him and another officer in a futile effort to evade capture on drug charges Saturday, police said.
Anthony Shackelford, 43, was arraigned and jailed on a slew of felony charges. At 10 a.m. Saturday, police said, Officer John Calvello Jr. stopped a Jeep Liberty for an alleged traffic violation on Hillside Avenue. Shackelford was found with crack cocaine and bolted from officers, according to police.
The foot chase led Shackelford to a swamp behind the Evergreen Drive housing complex, police said, and when officers chased him into the swamp, Shackelford wrestled with them and tried to grab Calvello's holstered hand gun.
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house