Ore. police fatally shoot man who threatened infant with knife
The Associated Press
KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. — A police officer shot and killed a man who took his girlfriend's infant son hostage and threatened to kill him with a knife, authorities said.
Jesse Lee Johnson told officers surrounding the home Friday in this town near the California state line that he was drunk, high on methamphetamine and ready to kill the 11-month-old boy.
Johnson, 27, died at a hospital. The baby was not hurt, Caleb said.
The name of the officer was not immediately released.
Police said Johnson was acting erratically when he grabbed the baby, and that negotiations with him lasted about 30 minutes before the shooting.
It was not immediately clear if others were in the house.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Standoff Situations
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert