Wash. SWAT arrest machete-wielding man after standoff
The Associated Press
VANCOUVER, Wash. - A Vancouver man is in custody after keeping police at bay with a machete for several hours until the SWAT team threw tear gas into the home.
Detective Patrick Kennedy says the situation began after several 911 calls were made about a man carrying a machete while yelling and making threats of bodily harm.
When officers arrived Sunday night, police say Harwell ran in the house holding the knife. Attempts to contact him were unsuccessful and so the tear gas was deployed.
No one else was in the home — and no injuries were reported.
Harwell is under arrest and being held at the Clark County Jail.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Standoff Situations
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman