Man attacks Fla. officer with machete; suspect fatally shot
By Jerome Burdi
Related: Cal. officer discusses day he shot machete-carrying man
WEST PALM BEACH — A man closing in fast on police with a machete in his hand was shot at least twice and killed about 6 p.m. Wednesday on Summit Boulevard between Interstate 95 and the railroad tracks, police said.
It is unclear why Vladimir Bernal Niellas, 45, of West Palm Beach, lunged at officers, forcing one to fire, Capt. Pat Maney said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help