Man attacks N.Y. officer with knife
The Associated Press
Rochester, N.Y. — A 29-year-old man faces charges after he allegedly stabbed a Rochester police officer whose protective vest kept him from suffering more serious injuries.
Police department officials say the 26-year-old officer was attacked by John Sterling after responding to a call Thursday night. Authorities say Sterling stabbed the officer several times in the torso with a kitchen knife but the bulletproof vest stopped the thrusts.
The officer suffered a stab wound to his upper arm and was taken to Strong Memorial Hospital.
The officer's name hasn't been released but officials say he's 26 years old and recently joined the police department.
Authorities say Sterling is being charged with attempted aggravated manslaughter.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house