Hatchet-wielding man shot, killed at Ark. jail
MENA, Ark. — Authorities in Arkansas say sheriff's deputies shot and killed a man who walked into a jail wielding a hatchet and knives.
Officers say 23-year-old Christopher Allen Anderson entered the Polk County jail early Monday and demanded deputies begin releasing inmates.
Authorities say officers used a Taser on Anderson twice. Police say Anderson threw a hatchet at a police officer before deputies opened fire on him.
Arkansas State Police are investigating the shooting death. The sheriff's officers involved have been placed on administrative leave.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help