Off duty Pa. officer stabs suspect who attacked him with handcuffs
By Moriah Balingit
PITTSBURGH — A routine arrest at the Downtown Burlington Coat Factory erupted into a bloody confrontation between an off-duty city police officer working as a security guard and a suspected shoplifter yesterday afternoon that ended when the officer stabbed the suspect with a knife pulled from his utility belt.
"It became a tense situation until the officer became involved in a fight for his life," said Sgt. James Vogel of Zone 2. "It's one of the most serious situations our officers can face."
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court