Indy police justified in shooting man with machete
By Kevin O'Neal
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — A machete-wielding man was shot and killed Thursday night on the Westside by the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. That incident came nearly three months after another conformation where the same man had threatened to take police officers' guns and shoot himself.
Ray Ponder, 48, was declared dead last night at Wishard Memorial Hospital, around an hour and a half following the shooting. A police officer shot Ponder in the head after he raised a machete as if to strike his girlfriend or the officer.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman