Indy police justified in shooting man with machete
By Kevin O'Neal
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — A machete-wielding man was shot and killed Thursday night on the Westside by the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. That incident came nearly three months after another conformation where the same man had threatened to take police officers' guns and shoot himself.
Ray Ponder, 48, was declared dead last night at Wishard Memorial Hospital, around an hour and a half following the shooting. A police officer shot Ponder in the head after he raised a machete as if to strike his girlfriend or the officer.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court