Police chief defends Va. officers in shooting
By Amanda Codispoti
ROANOKE, Va. — Roanoke police were called to Robert Douglas Mattox's apartment three times Sunday before they shot him during a fourth call when he came at them with a knife, police Chief Joe Gaskins said Monday.
Mattox, 51, was in critical condition Monday, said Allie Buth, a spokeswoman for Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. A previous newspaper report spelled his last name as Maddox.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Police chief defends Va. officers in shooting
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help