Chicago officers save man held hostage by knife-wielding suspect
By Dave Newbart, Lisa Donovan, Lauren Guy and Kara Spak
CHICAGO — Trying to stop a knife-wielding man from killing an elderly man at one of the Loop's busiest corners at midday Thursday, a Chicago Police officer opened fire -- killing the suspect and striking a fellow officer, Police Supt. Jody Weis said.
The friendly fire bullet hit the officer in the vest -- but didn't penetrate, Weis said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests