S.C. teen fatally shot after stabbing officer
CONWAY, S.C. — A coroner says a South Carolina police officer shot and killed a 16-year-old student who stabbed him at a high school.
Horry County Coroner Robert Edge says Trevor Varinecz died of multiple gun shot wounds Friday.
Authorities said Varinecz pulled a knife and fought briefly with an officer as school started Friday morning at Carolina Forest High School in Conway.
Horry County schools spokeswoman Teal Britton said the boy asked to speak to the officer. She says the teen stabbed the officer after the two went into an office.
A hospital spokeswoman said the officer was being treated and was in good condition.
The officer has not been identified. A woman who answered the phone at the teen's house said the family had no comment.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house