Calif. cops fatally shoot woman with meat cleaver
The Associated Press
MODESTO, Calif. — A woman Modesto police say was wielding a meat cleaver on an elementary school playground has been shot and killed by officers.
Modesto police Sgt. Brian Findlen says officers had responded to the playground of the Catherine Everett Elementary School a little after 2 p.m. Tuesday.
Findlen says when officers arrived they saw the woman hitting and cutting herself in her upper body with the cleaver.
Findlen says two of several officers on the scene opened fire when the woman charged officers with the cleaver. Findlen was not sure how many times the woman was hit.
The woman was pronounced dead at local hospital. Police have not released her name, but said she was a woman in her 50s.
During the incident, the school was locked down.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman