Cop stabbed, suspect shot in NM DUI scuffle
"This was one of the most violent, extreme attacks on a police officer that I think I've ever seen," the Chief said
By Vic Vela
Albuquerque Journal (New Mexico)
ALBUQUERQUE — A driver pulled over for possible DWI stabbed a police officer during a scuffle late Wednesday and the officer shot and wounded the suspect during a violent fight that left both men hospitalized, according to State Police.
The State Police officer, Steven Carroll, 25, was stabbed in stomach by 39-year-old Ricky Gonzales of Santa Fe, police said.
Carroll had pulled over Gonzales off Airport Road on Santa Fe's south side for suspected drunken driving and while Carroll was performing roadside sobriety tests, Gonzales tried to run away.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Cop stabbed, suspect shot in NM DUI scuffle
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house