Sword-wielding 'pirate' shot by Neb. police
Officer shot Jonathan Martis when he refused to drop sword and approached them
OMAHA, Neb. — Omaha police say they shot a man dressed as a pirate who menaced them with a sword.
A police news release says officers encountered 38-year-old Jonathan Martis at a home in southeast Omaha where they had been dispatched to investigate a disturbance Thursday evening.
The officers told Martis to drop the sword but he refused.
Police say an officer fired at Martis with a stun gun but it appeared to have no effect.
Martis approached the officers, still holding the sword, so an officer opened fire and shot him.
Omaha television station KETV says Martis is in stable condition at Creighton University Medical Center.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman