Del. sergeant fatally stabbed by suspect
Sgt. Joe Szczerba was fatally stabbed while struggling with a suspect
Duty Death: Joe Szczerba - [New Castle, Delaware]
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW CASTLE, Del. — An 18-year New Castle police veteran was stabbed to death in a fight with a suspect he was taking into custody early today, according to police.
Sgt. Joe Szczerba, 44, was responding to a disorderly conduct call around midnight when he was stabbed while trying to take the suspect into custody, The News Journal reported. Szczerba was taken to the Christiana Hospital where he was pronounced dead, and officers lined the streets as his body was escorted in a procession to the medical examiner's office.
Police Chief Michael Szczerba said although he is not related to the fallen sergeant, he is affected by the sudden loss. “He was upholding his duty to his badge and to the citizens of New Castle County when he was struck down needlessly,” said the Chief. “This is both a professional and personal loss for me, and I join with the Mayor and our entire department in expressing sadness and grief.”
A male suspect, whose name has not been released, is currently in police custody.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman