Ala. cop killed in stabbing
The Mayor's Office has confirmed the death of a Mobile police officer Friday
Duty Death: Steven Green - [Mobile, Alabama]
By PoliceOne Staff
MOBILE, Ala. — A police officer was fatally stabbed when a suspect fled jail in a stolen police cruiser and injured a second officer before he was killed Friday, sources said.
During a reported robbery attempt Friday morning at Dollar General in West Mobile, Lawrence Wallace, Jr. was seen spraying lighter fluid on the counter and setting it on fire, along with parts of the floor and a store display, according to WKRG.com. An off-duty officer at the scene saw him and tackled him, police said.
Wallace was taken to Mobile's metro jail, where he stabbed and killed Officer Steven Green and escaped in a patrol car, CNN.com reported. He abandoned the car and hid under a home as a standoff with police ensued, during which an officer was shot in the arm. Officers returned fire and Lawrence was killed.
Mayor Samuel Jones lamented the loss of Green.
"This officer was very, very well respected," Jones said "We are all very saddened, certainly wish the family our deepest sympathy."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police