Man holding knife to baby's throat shot by deputy
Assisting officers rescued the child and rendered aid for serious injuries
By Richard Brooks
The Press Enterprise
A deputy shot and wounded a domestic violence suspect who was holding a knife to a baby's throat, sheriff's officials say.
Deputies were summoned at 10:57 p.m. Saturday, July 21, to Ella Avenue by a woman who reported that her boyfriend was holding a knife at her child's throat and she feared he would harm the baby, Deputy Robert Martinez said in a written statement.
"An officer repeatedly ordered the suspect to drop the knife, but he did not comply," according to the statement. "Fearing for the child's life, an officer fired his duty weapon, striking the suspect.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman