Dairy Queen clerk kills sword-wielding robber
Suspect was shot twice and was lying just outside the doors when officers arrived
LAS VEGAS — Police say a clerk at a Las Vegas Dairy Queen shot and killed a sword-wielding, masked man who tried to rob the restaurant.
Detectives say the suspect was shot twice and was lying just outside the doors when officers arrived around 12:15 p.m. Sunday.
The suspect died at a hospital.
Metro Police Lt. Les Lane tells the Las Vegas-Journal the sword was at least three-feet long.
Authorities say the shooting appears to have been in self-defense but that detectives were investigating whether the gun used was properly registered.
They say only two employees and no customers were present at the time of the shooting.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic