Minn. officers lured to ambush, stabbed
The suspect admitted to calling 911 because he wanted to hurt the police officers who came to help
By PoliceOne Staff
MINNEAPOLIS — Two officers dispatched to a robbery call were intentionally lured into an ambush and stabbed, police said Wednesday.
Two Minneapolis Park Police officers, a male and a female, were responding Tuesday to a 911 call of man who said he was robbed at knifepoint, the department said in a news release. When the officers approached the assumed victim, the male officer was stabbed in the chest and the female in the head and back.
As she struggled with the offender, the male officer pulled his gun and shot the suspect. Investigators say during questioning, the suspect admitted to calling 911 because he wanted to hurt the police officers who came to help.
Hospital staff found an additional knife while treating the suspect at Hennepin County Medical Center, KARE 11 reported. When he recovers from his injuries, he will be booked for probable cause second degree assault.
The female officer was treated for a stab wound and released Wednesday morning. The knife wound to the male officer was diverted by a Kevlar vest.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy