Good Samaritan stabbed to death chasing robbery suspect
Sheriff's officials say a Good Samaritan suffered fatal stab wounds while chasing a thief who allegedly stabbed a woman and stole her purse
YUCAIPA, Calif. — Sheriff's officials say a Good Samaritan suffered fatal stab wounds while chasing a thief who allegedly stabbed a woman and stole her purse in Southern California.
The Riverside Press-Enterprise reports 47-year-old Troy Cansler chased the robber for about a block Sunday night in Yucaipa until he was stabbed. He died at a hospital.
Authorities say the suspect, a 26-year-old Yucaipa man, was arrested and booked for investigation of murder, attempted murder, robbery and other charges.
The woman, who was attacked in a grocery store parking lot, is expected to recover from her injuries.
Cansler's wife says her husband always helped the underdog. The iron worker leaves behind his wife and their 12-year-old daughter.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend