NY cop attacked with box cutter, suspect killed
Officers were dispatched to an intersection where the man was stopping and screaming at cars
The Daily Freeman
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. — A 27-year-old man was fatally shot by a Poughkeepsie city police officer at 5:38 a.m. Saturday after police said he attacked another officer with a box cutter.
Officers were dispatched to the intersection of Main and Academy streets early Saturday in response to a report of a man causing a disturbance that included stopping cars and yelling and screaming, police said.
According to police, the man attacked a seven-year veteran on the force with a box cutter and the other officer, who has been with the Poughkeepsie force for two years, shot the man. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, and an autopsy was being conducted Saturday.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic