Video: Vt. traffic stop escalates after dispute over tow truck
After being cited by police, driver tried to pull away, but his car got stuck in a ditch
By Melissa Howell
ST. ALBANS, Vt. — It was all caught on the cruiser dashboard camera: What started as police pulling over Peter Martin for having tinted car windows turned into much more.
After being cited by police, Martin tried to pull away, but the video shows his car got stuck in a ditch. Court papers say Ofc. Michael Malinowski then called for a tow truck, but when Martin's insurance wasn't accepted, he refused to pay for the services. The tow truck operator then began to tow the car for lack of payment. That's when police say Martin lunged at the tow truck driver and police stepped in, eventually wrestling Martin to the ground.
According to court records, Malinowski threatened to tase Martin once on the ground. He says he feared for his life after a gun fell from the lawyer, who was also armed with a knife. Martin was in court the following day and pleaded not guilty to disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.
Full Story: Controversy over St. Albans lawyer's arrest
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help