Video: Off-duty cop suspended after pursuing robbery suspect
Austin police officer thought he was protecting the public, but was punished for his actions
AUSTIN — An Austin police officer thought he was protecting the public, but was instead punished for his actions. He chased down a robbery suspect while off-duty.
This is video of off-duty Officer Jonathan LaBorde running out of his church in South Austin. Minutes earlier he was in a meeting when he saw a bloody man run down the hallway.
"His first thought was that somebody had robbed the church, they'd just finished church services and there was cash there," said Austin Police Association President Wayne Vincent.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help