Ga. police hunt lost evidence in '96 killing
Copyright 2006 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
BETH WARREN, JEFFRY SCOTT
The whereabouts of a missing weapon and other key evidence in a 1996 Fulton County homicide remained a mystery Wednesday.
A veteran Atlanta police detective said he doesn't know what happened to the gun, bullet and shell casing, fingerprints and other evidence from the December 1996 slaying in Buckhead of millionaire David Coffin Jr.
"Once it goes to the state crime lab, it is not my responsibility to keep it," Sgt. Rick Chambers testified Wednesday as defense attorneys fought to have the case dismissed. Chambers testified that he last saw the gun on Dec. 11, 1996, a day after Coffin's body was found, when he handed it to his partner on the case, detective Marchel Walker.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Ga. police hunt lost evidence in '96 killing
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house