Va. red-light camera images used in first criminal case
Under state law, red-light violations captured by camera systems may only be used to impose civil penalties unless a judge issues a court order
By Kathy Adams
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — A Chesapeake man pleaded guilty Tuesday in a case that included photos from a city red-light camera as evidence.
Shawn Webber, 39, of Chesapeake pleaded guilty in Circuit Court to hit-and-run and driving while a habitual offender, according to a news release from the commonwealth's attorney's office. The charges stem from a March 15 crash in which Webber struck and injured a bicyclist near the intersection of Indian River Road and South Military Highway, then left the scene, according to the release.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help