'Chicago police' label on pit bull killing photo raises questions
Graphic photo circulated of man killed by pit bulls
By Maudlyne Ihejirika
CHICAGO — On Aug. 15, Charles Hagerman was mauled to death by his family's pitbulls.
On Aug. 17, a Chicago Police Department crime scene photo of the deceased man on the floor of his walk-up apartment in West Englewood began circulating.
Within days, the grisly photo of the African-American man — bloody, torn flesh and all — was posted on YouTube, marked, "CPD Photo. Do Not Forward."
Under that, was someone's idea of a joke: "Pit bull vs. dude at 56th & Racine in Englewood? Guess who won?"
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend