'Chicago police' label on pit bull killing photo raises questions
Graphic photo circulated of man killed by pit bulls
By Maudlyne Ihejirika
CHICAGO — On Aug. 15, Charles Hagerman was mauled to death by his family's pitbulls.
On Aug. 17, a Chicago Police Department crime scene photo of the deceased man on the floor of his walk-up apartment in West Englewood began circulating.
Within days, the grisly photo of the African-American man — bloody, torn flesh and all — was posted on YouTube, marked, "CPD Photo. Do Not Forward."
Under that, was someone's idea of a joke: "Pit bull vs. dude at 56th & Racine in Englewood? Guess who won?"
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests