Explosives stolen as cops train at airport
A container of explosives was stolen as police conducted a training exercise at Sky Harbor International Airport
By PoliceOne Staff
PHOENIX — A container of explosives was stolen as police conducted a training exercise at Sky Harbor International Airport, officers said Sunday.
The container was being used as a training aid, Phoenix Police Sgt. Tommy Thompson said. It was stolen Friday afternoon in one of the airport's public areas, and it contained two 227g tubes of Cast Booster exposives.
The explosives cannot be detonated without additional equipment and a level of expertise, Thompson said. Federal authorities were called in to assist local police in their search.
Flights in and out of the airport were unaffected by the theft, My Fox Phoenix reported.
UPDATE: Monday morning police located a cooler thought to contain the explosives in a neighborhood near the airport, according to the Associated Press. Upon investigation, it was determined that the explosives hadn't been tampered with.
- Police Training
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy