Calif. suspect's death subject of FBI probe
Jaxon Van Derbeken
San Francisco Chronicle
OAKLAND, Calif. — Jerry Amaro complained to everyone he knew that Oakland police had beaten him.
Few people outside his own family believed the 35-year-old drug addict's story back in March 2000. It seemed no one ever would - he never lodged a complaint against police after being arrested in an undercover drug sting, his family found no witnesses to back his claim, and the lieutenant who led the operation denied that any beating had occurred.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Calif. suspect's death subject of FBI probe
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic