Man indicted in murder of Phoenix cop
Danny Ledezma Martinez indicted on 11 counts including first-degree murder
The Associated Press
PHOENIX — An Arizona grand jury indicted a Tucson man Thursday on murder and other charges in the fatal shooting of a Phoenix police officer.
Maricopa County prosecutors say 30-year-old Danny Ledezma Martinez remains jailed after being arrested in the May 26 slaying of Officer Travis Murphy.
Authorities say the 29-year-old officer was killed during a confrontation when Martinez was trying to flee a hit-and-run accident.
He was indicted on 11 counts, including first-degree murder, burglary, resisting arrest, misconduct involving weapons and disorderly conduct.
Phoenix police say Martinez has an extensive record of violent crimes. Court records show he served more than three years on weapons charges from the Tucson area and was released in April 2009.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house