Secret Service: Person arrested on White House grounds
No hazardous materials were found during a search of a backpack the individual carried
WASHINGTON — The U.S. Secret Service says a person is under arrest after climbing a fence and getting onto the south grounds of the White House.
The breach happened at about 11:38 p.m. Friday. President Donald Trump was at the White House.
The agency says the individual — whom it did not identify — was arrested without further incident. No hazardous materials were found during a search of a backpack the individual carried.
The Secret Service also says a search of the south and north grounds of the White House complex found "nothing of concern to security operations."
Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly was briefed on the incident.
The agency didn't provide an update on the individual's status. Standard practice is to hand intruders over to the local police department.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house