FBI, LAPD join forces against gangs
By Patrick McGreevy and Richard Winton, Times Staff Writers
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, left, talks to Joana Ponce 12, niece of Arturo Ponce, who was killed last December, during a news conference Thursday in Wilmington, Calif. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)
In addition, Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca said he plans to keep convicted gang members in jail for their full sentences, exempting them from an early release program underway to relieve overcrowding.
Mueller was in Los Angeles to pledge FBI assistance in the city's battle against gangs after a 14% increase in gang violence last year, including a hike of nearly 25% in South L.A.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: FBI, LAPD join forces against gangs
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms